Friday, May 31, 2013

Our Favorite 'It' Mommy behind MENINA: Sofia Mena de Wurmser



When I first asked Sofi to help me on this feature I suggested a play date with our daughters so she could tell be about her 'third child' as she calls her new creation MENINA, she bluntly said, 'NO. I can't do this with my kids around. I'd be 2% in our conversation and 98% of me would be following my girls around. Let's do coffee and leave the play date for another time'. This is is the kind of honesty you gotta love in a girl. Confessing with no guilt whatsoever to that 'I love my kids, but right now I need them NOT to be around' moment, we ALL have and so few of us admit to.

I've heard the phrase ''she can light up a whole room'' many times, but rarely have I seen it myself. Sofía just does this. She arrives looking perfectly casual and pulled together wearing a sleek ponytail, shorts, a navy flowy blouse and tan Tory Burch sandals, apologizing for being three minutes late. 'You don't mind if I do this, right?' she asks as she begins to remove her nail polish. I'm actually relieved she does this, here I was thinking I'm the only one walking around for days with half a mani. I don't think she realizes how nervous I am, being this the first time I've done this, interviewed anyone,  started a blog, posted anything, specially having written my questions minutes before she walked in! But there's something about her that just instantly makes you relax and feel you're just catching up with an old friend. I think it's the smile...

Sofia, a mother of two gorgeous girls, Alexandra and Olivia (4 & 2 years old) started MENINA having always wanted to do something crafty with her own hands. She finds her inspiration in fashion, art, architecture, music and her own daughters. She's the perfect combo of sweet and punk. This self-procclaimed stud lover, came up with MENINA (after her own nickname growing up 'Menita', and 'Little Girl' in Portuguese) moved by her own girls, understanding that even as young as four years old, a girl can develop her own fashion sense, manifest her unique taste and appreciate more sophisticated things and details at such an early stage. She witnesses this with her own 'Petite Coquette' - Alexandra - or Sashita as she lovingly calls her, everyday watching her choose her own outfits, and encouraging her true fashion sense.

She wants her daughters to remember her as just being there for them, involved -always-. And believe me she is. I have never seen Sofi with help. Ever. Whether its baking, dropping them off and picking them up at school, sharing the small things, getting them ready for bedtime, driving Sasha to karate, or even taking up karate herself just to share that bond with her daughter, she just wants to BE PRESENT in her daughters' life, and may I say she's doing a damn good job at it. 

Her life lesson she'd like to teach her kids: Do What You Love. If she only knew those are the exact same words I read on some quote on Pinterest that gave me the final push to start this blog!!!

When I ask what she does for herself to relax once the girls are tucked in and her husband - Isho-  is home, her smile answers before she can say: GAME.OF.THRONES. Not only do they make a gorgeous couple, but she confesses they share the small guilty pleasures of everyday life. They'd just finish watching Undefeated, the 2011 Oscar-winning documentary about the struggles of a high school football team...and when friday comes, it's date night!

Sofia is the full package. She's the kind of girl you'd love to hate, but just can't. She bakes (mouth watering cupcakes she'll make using recipes and books her friends will gift her, knowing she's obsessed with trying to find the perfect one), plays tennis, does karate, makes a mean couscous and spaghetti with whole tomatoes and basil (recipe from one of her best friends' dad), runs a loving home, has an ongoing strong and happy marriage, raises two wonderful kids with little or no help, and yet manages to do all this looking impeccably chic. Always. She swears she could live in her fave pair of distressed jeans, or AG Stevie Ankle Jeans which she'll just order in her current choice of color, any striped H&M Tee, and flats. 

'I can't manage a budget' she confesses. Finally!!! I knew there had to be something... Oh wait, that's not that bad isn't it? What girl can manage a budget?

About MENINA: 

All Menina Bows are handmade by Sofia. She picks the materials, colors, hardware and details herself, with such care and love, that make each and every bow unique. They're sweet and cute with an edge. The colors are beautiful, and can transform the little ones' outfits and light up any rainy day. I know my 4 year-old loves hers!!!

Her inspiration for her upcoming collection: Chanel. I see pearls...!Can't wait for it!!!


Meet MARGUERITA!
Homage to Italian Fashion Powerhouse Heiress Marguerita Missoni
Loving the detailed embroidered embellishment!!!



Because every girl needs a Bow...Add a Murano heart, even better!!!



Can't decide!!! Pick'em all!!! A girl can never have too many bows!!!


The Beauties Behind MENINA
Photo Property of Tessa Yarhi-Ancalmo, PHOTOBOX

BUY MENINA

OR CUSTOM ORDER

Or visit:
La Luna de Mateo
Hadas & Dragones






No comments:

Post a Comment