Wednesday, June 12, 2013

TIP OF THE WEEK: Conseils de Voyage: Pack This, Not That!


I am a lucky lucky girl in the sense that my husband and I share a passion for traveling, and often find the time to escape. Being the frequent leisure traveler that I am (ahem...), you'd say packing would come as a natural skill, yet I still haven't mastered l'art de bien faire mes valises, or the art of packing. In fact packing for me is a nightmare and most of the time I get it all wrong. I always take too many items that often return unworn, and never consider I will probably shop at my destination. My system pretty much comes down to if I can't make up my mind I'll just take everything.

We're spending this summer away with the girls and my husband, which means not only do I have to pack one suitcase but four!!! So instead of actually packing I thought it'd be a better idea to sit in front of my computer for hours researching how to pack, pinning and blogging about it, hoping everything I should take will magically make its way to my suitcase... 

I couldn't even aspire to tell you how to pack, there are so many aspects you should take into account when picking what goes into your suitcase and what stays home: nature of the trip, agenda, duration of your stay, weather at final destination, seasons, etc. So here are a few basic, very basic, tips I've learnt over the past few days, and some tried and true tips I can actually swear by...

1. Set the Mood

Do not under any circumstances pack in a hurry or in a bad mood. You'll only treat yourself to a not so nice surprise once you arrive to your destination and discover you haven't actually got anything to wear. I have a packing playlist on my iPod, I'll have a glass of wine (Stay away from the red and go easy on this one, can you say 'why did I pack this bikini?...for a skiing trip!?'), and most of all I try to enjoy the process. Every time I pack I rediscover my closet and either hate it or fall in love with it all over again. Packing is also a good time to clean out your closet and finally get rid of those missing items that miraculously resurface that you haven't worn for years...plus, it'll give you an excuse to shop for new items on your trip ('Honey, but I gave away all those clothes, I'll have nothing to wear when we get back'...)

2. Stick to Basics

Unless you have a special event you'll be attending to during your trip that requires a specific dress code, stick to your basics. Pick versatile pieces that can go from day to evening. Blue Skinny jeans, layering tanks and tees, a lightweight black sweater, a nice jacket that'll keep you warm in cool mornings or evenings and can be worn inside or outdoors, a lightweight scarf, a classic trench, black  or nude ballet flats, a LBD can be a lifesaver, or a LWD for summer.


3. Pick Your Bottoms Well

Yes, you read that right. Pick two to three bottoms maximum. For each bottom choose two to three tops, that can be mixed and matched with all the bottoms and you'll have new outfits for more than a week!


4. Be realistic

Yes those are killer heels, but they will literally kill you if you wear them during a three hour walking city tour. This does not mean you have to sacrifice style for comfort, if you know you'll be doing plenty of sightseeing and using public transport, pack a pretty pair of nude and dark flats or sneakers, choose an equally comfortable outfit and handbag, accesorize well, and you'll look equally chic (minus six inches..) You might want to think twice about the fabrics you choose. Pick pieces that will fold and travel well, and won't need ironing.

5. Accesorize

Accesories will occupy little or no space in your bags and can dress any outfit up or down, giving any previously worn outfit a whole new twist!

6. Check the weather

Make sure to check local weather conditions a day or two before your departure and leave prepared. Always wear or carry heavier outerwear and accessories like umbrellas in your carry on luggage the day you travel.

7. Bag it!

Your single most important item when travelling is probably your handbag. It usually carries your valuables and travel documents. Invest in a versatile comfortable carryall that will fit all the items you'll want to keep handy and accessible. Additionally, you'll want to take a cross-body or messenger bag for sightseeing during the day, and a clutch or envelope bag for the evening. I always carry a folded Le Pliage Longchamp large tote in case I make any duty-free, magazines or snacks purchases, it just looks way nicer than your regular plastic bag and is easier to carry.

8. Stock up on Samples

You will breeze through airport security with these conveniently sized beauty must haves, makeup and other toiletries. I always carry empty ziplocs with me to comply with the TSA's 3-1-1 rule for carry-ons: 3.4 ounce or 100ml bottles or less in 1 quart-sized clear plastic zip-top bag, 1 bag per passengerRemember to keep eyes, lips and skin hydrated on longer flights, and upon arrival take out a girl's best friends: Oversized shades! Note on airport security: always carry and extra pair of socks to wear in security checkpoint waiting lines and when going through X-Ray machines.

9. Stay Plugged In

Pack your phone, reading and music devices' chargers in your carry-on luggage. This tip can be particularly useful when flights are delayed and long hours await you at the airport. If applicable to your mobile data plans, previously download reading contents such as books and magazines on your devices, to avoid airport wi-fi fees and charges.

10. Pack a Smile :)

Whether on the job or for pleasure, you'll soon be up in the air, about to discover new places, meet new people,  see different cities, taste new foods... embrace every minute of it! Life is too short not to smile!

:)

Anatomy of my Travel Handbag


During my extensive and extremely productive research (sigh! yet not one single item is in my suitcase...), I stumbled upon these great sites I suggest you check out before heading to the airport! Travelista by Josie, you have inspired and enlightened me, I am addicted to your blog, travel tips, inspirations and diaries! She really does make you feel my four-year old could pack for me (should I feel better or worse knowing this???) Read Travelista's 5 easy tips that summarize what I've babbled on  about for the last 10 minutes...


Source: www.travelista.com


Having a Packing Checklist can always come in handy to make sure you don't forget anything when packing, and to check all your belongings have arrived once in your final destination. This is probably one of my favorites, browse through Pinterest and you'll find plenty of options, including Disney Packing List, Weekend Getaways, Miami Packing Lists, you name it! Choose the one that best matches your style and travels.


Via favething.com, originally sourced form flickr.com


Click on the following links:




TIMEOUT: The World's 50 Best Travel Apps - Be sure to check out the PACKING PRO APP








No comments:

Post a Comment