Thursday, July 25, 2013

BEAUTY SPECIAL: SKIN & HAIR!!!


It's summer! endless days under the sun in the summer heat can leave you with a killer tan and the perfect beachy waves, but as days (and nights) get longer, skin gets darker, hair gets lighter and temperatures rise, you should prep your hair and skin and amp your beauty routine.

In college I lived with my best friend. I remember her taking off her makeup every night no matter what time we'd arrive home. I was usually on the lazy side, and used to go to bed and wake up with those hideous raccoon eyes. She would wake up with glowing bright skin and all, and mine would look dull and tired. I've come a long way since those days, now I won't go to bed without a full cleansing and moisturizing eye and face routine.

I just turned 30 and understand your skin has different needs at different decades. Thirties are all about prevention, prevention, prevention. I see a lot of the word 'Anti' in my products. I am currently in the process of rediscovering my beauty routine and finding the products that will protect and prevent...without breaking the bank! As much as I'd like to eat La Mer out of the jar for dessert, I couldn't afford it! So you'll find I will make some splurges here and there, but I'm usually open to great drugstore finds as well!

Your skin's health is a reflection of a) genetics and b)your lifestyle in general. Watching what you eat, drink, regularly working out, drinking plenty of water, avoiding high levels of stress and getting enough sleep will probably get you glowing skin, but since most of us can't fit eight to ten hours of sleep in our daily schedule, here are some up the products I rely on to get a young, fresh, glowing complexion. I went with no text on this one, instead you'll find pictures of every product so you'll easy recognize them on your next trip to Sephora, your local Target or CVS.

SKIN

My Basic Daily Beauty Routine in Five Easy Steps:

1. Cleanse
2. Clarify
3. Tonify
4. Moisturize
5. Protect

The Clarisonic Cleansing System (Image 2): I once heard and confirm, it's the Best Cleansing Invention since the toothbrush!!!

With age I've kicked my routine a notch or two by adding specific anti-aging products to fight premature lines and wrinkles and correct dark spots:


At least three times a week I try to fit in two additional steps by exfoliating and applying a different mask to suit  my skin's needs that specific week:

Lips are such a delicate part of our visage, and yet so frequently forgotten. I couldn't tell you how many lip balms I have. I carry with me one everywhere I go and leave spare ones at home, in the car, in different handbags and beachbags, and I'm known for re-applying recurrently. These drugstore goodies are my among my faves, but nothing beats my Kiehl's Lip Balm # 1, I should seriously be treated for this addiction. During the day or out in the sun, remember to use lip balm with an SPF 15 or higher.


HAIR

If there's something I'm proud of having passed on to my daughter is my trademark mane. Her hair is gorgeous! not that mine is but I do have to thank the heavens for it! It's abundant, low-maintenance, and on most days healthy. I can go five days straight without washing my hair and you wouldn't notice. I rarely flat iron or blow dry and never ever color. I usually step out of the shower, detangle, let it air dry, apply a few drops of multiple beauty awards winning John Frieda FRIZZ-EASE Original Formula (this is important) Hair Serum and hit the road. Not many can do this. On days I don't shampoo and condition, I spray Ojon's Revitalizing Mist to refresh, the smell is just amazing. Lately it has been thinning though so I'm taking extra care of it by trying to shampoo just twice a week (can you say dry shampoo?) and additional hydrating. These are my hair must-haves, you will notice I am a MoroccanOil Fan, trust me I have my reasons, try these and so will you!

Meet My Best Friend Oscar.

It is important to get to know your skin and hair types and use products accordingly. Remember to always ask for help if you are unsure of you type's needs. Sephora is my personal beauty paradise and will always consult their professionals on every new product I try.




Next Week on L'Art de Vivre: 

BEAUTY SPECIAL PART II: MAKEUP


XO





No comments:

Post a Comment