Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Owning Your Space: Finding Your Inner Decorista!!!

Decorating your space, your home, any space for that matter, should be as intimate as dressing yourself. It should be a reflection of you, your lifestyle, your family, your hobbies and likes. Sticking merely to current trends would not only leave you bankrupt but would be nonsensical. 

There is no point in recreating an entire room out of ELLE Decor if it does not suit your lifestyle or your family's. For instance, I love white. I have a very tidy and proper four-year old (very much like her OCD mother) who respects the 'grown-ups' areas and her own, and I'm not planning on having any more children. I can do white at home. But how about a mommy of three boys all under 10? Honey don't walk away from white, run away from it!

Pocket-wise, when it comes to your wardrobe you can probably afford to swing by ZARA every season and update your closet accordingly investing in some key pieces here and there. But decorating is acquiring a long term compromise with big bucks involved, (even when you shop at IKEA... when have you ever gone into IKEA and left with ONLY and nothing else with what you originally were planning to purchase?) Point is, every year, decorating trends come and go, but you couldn't buy new furniture every time you saw a new amazing trendy piece (unless you can, then you just shouldn't!) 

I haven't bought new furniture in almost four years, yet every time friends and family visit they swear I've remodelled. I do invest in paint once in a while, and occasionally in fabric and smaller accents.I'm always carrying around swatches. I've learnt it's all about not letting the eye get bored. I keep changing furniture all the time. I'll switch artwork from wall to wall, pillows, floor lamps, etc., sometimes I can even fool myself into thinking I've actually bought new pieces, when all I've done is rotate them around the house.

My current obsession: Chevron Prints! I love this sitting area 
with a magnificent view of the city.
I never actually sit on these, but just looking at them make me smile...

Even the little one's room couldn't escape my chevron craze!

When I first got married, I would buy everything on impulse. I changed my living room three times in the first three years. Until I had an intervention from my husband, 'This has got to stop' he said. 'The next piece you buy, you'll have to keep it and see it everyday for at least the next ten years'. You see, decorating is a lot like marriage, in the sense that it is all about COMMITMENT. My husband's wake up call made me enforce some self control. 10 years is, after all, a lot. 

Before I made any further purchases, I followed three simple steps:

1. I went through all my current stuff and spaces. With my very thorough inventory in mind, I selected the pieces worth keeping, those I might be able to restore or update, the ones I might be able to sell, or which pieces might look better in another room. During this step is where I discovered the joys of spray-painting!

2. I did a lot of research in order to find inspiration, define and label my style. Arquitecture and design books, magazines, blogs, you name it!!!

3. Ready for this? I fixed a BUDGET.

For the complete guide on getting started, I recommend my decorating bible: Domino, The Book of Decorating, by domino editors. Scroll down to buy.

I still have trouble defining my style (and sticking to that budget part!) In fact I think every room in my house has a different style, but this is exactly what reflects me. My wardrobe for example is so varied. One day I'll wake up and wear classic cut jeans, a white button-down shirt, flats and pearl studs, and the very next day I'll wear black leather skinny jeans, studded heels, a graphic edgy tee and I'll coat myself in accessories. But this is just ME. I just can't and won't be defined by one word or one style. I can't however afford to decorate according to however I'm feeling every morning. This is where you have to get creative.

Mix the old with the new. Accesorize. Paint and re-paint. Do some stencil work. Play with lighting. Spray paint. Add finishing touches. Buy fresh flowers. Frame your children's artwork. Dress your windows. Rotate pieces. Upholster. Throw in some pillows. Treat yourself and your kids to black chalkboard paint. DIY everything you can. Frame some fabric. Choose a key piece and decorate a whole room around it. Always trust black. Organize. Disguise the ugly. Shop.At.Target. Wallpaper, do I need say more?. Exhibit sentimental pieces. Buy, and light up some candles (My favorite are Dyptique). And last but not least: P.I.N.T.E.R.E.S.T.

My house is modern. You would never expect this damask print chair to welcome you, 
but it just balances out all the squared clean lines.



In my house you'll find moroccan stenciled walls, gold walls, purple walls, chalkboard walls, classic brocade fabrics, animal prints, chevron, damask, Ikat prints, stripes, sunburst mirrors, furry rugs, I could just go on and you wouldn't find a pattern! Don't worry you're not the only one, my husband doesn't quite get it yet, but he's getting there, and best of all he loves seeing me experiment and having so much fun without breaking the bank. Last time he walked into my home office he found me painting gold dots all over my salmon wall, he asked why gold dots, I said, 'because I want to see the stars all day', he gave me the same look you've probably got right now, but every time I walk into my office I smile. And you see, you own your space when you smile every time you walk into it.

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, all day long at my home office.


The difference between a house and a home are the unforgettable moments you create in it. Whenever we have a family or friends gathering I'll be the first to offer our place!!! I've hosted birthdays, baby showers, anniversaries, pool parties, even a wedding at home, and have special memories of each and everyone of them (even a broken nose to prove it!) And hey, if you do get some red wine on your beloved white sofa, remember there's always Windex!!!

Try some DIY art. I literally painted this in five minutes on a used canvas. No science here.

Throw pillows are a great way to hide stains and revamp old fabrics and bedding.

An alternative to expensive wallpaper? Stencils. 


Decor Guide Recs:


Click on the links below each picture to buy these directly from Amazon.com



Check out the rest of Jonathan Adler's Happy Chic Series:
Jonathan Adler on Happy Chic Accesorizing, Sterling Innovation
Jonathan Adler, 100 Ways to Happy Chic Your Life
Jonathan Adler, My Prescription to Anti-Depressive Living




Also loving anything by Nate Berkus!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment